Subsoil and soulful cob discovery sessions…
Laura Gamwell and I are very pleased to offer some affordable, practical and enjoyable Cob-building taster sessions that we have dubbed (or is that daubed?!) -Muddy Tasters!
Why a Taster?
Cob offers many benefits. We want to offer people a glimpse of the experience and it’s application without a huge financial or time commitment. By engaging in a taster day or weekend taster, we figure people will be better informed to choose a longer or more in-depth course and continue a learning journey. There is no substitute for experience!
A day or weekend could look like this….
- Learn by doing: identify a successful mix from local subsoil’s and problem solve how to adapt and test your mix for the results you need.
- Learn how to adapt your mixes to build for structural, sculptural, insulative or fire-resistance.
- Learn how to assemble a cobbers toolkit and how to trim and consolidate structural cob between ‘lifts’.
- Build and use form-work to produce bricks for curing in the winter season- cob all the year round!
- Participate in an achievable natural building project: choosing from an outdoor bench, a mini hot tub or an experimental oven base; we will build something of lasting value together.
- In social time, we anticipate an opportunity to discuss potential ‘next steps’ for aspirants that wish to continue their learning journey and/or undertake a project of their own.
This is an immersive community-orientated building course, so do expect to share your own experiences, be grouped together occasionally for guided discovery sessions and above all; trust the experience!
Please bring a dish to share and some old clothes; you can expect to get muddy and get in amongst the Great Scottish Outdoors!
Muddy Tasters are available on request and you may occasionally find some dates here.