Think Big! Build Small!
‘Inspiring spaces-small footprints-hopeful futures’
These hands-on, family-friendly natural building events teach you and yours all you need to hand-build a dwelling from cob.
Practical sessions will cover:
- The location and testing of suitable materials.
- Mixing cob successfully by foot and using machinery. How to adapt your mixes to suit the conditions and elements in the design.
- Sculpting with cob/ How to create free flowing forms, integrated niches and decoration
- Learning different techniques of building and trimming walls both freeform and using forms.
- How to incorporate windows, doors and services into cob buildings.
- Cob and carpentry, creating suitable roof designs for your cob structure.
Theory/design sessions will include:
- Using our site as an example, how to assess your site and build holistically, taking into consideration passive solar design, drainage, natural features, flora and fauna.
- The design of cob buildings. How to sculpt spaces that reflect your needs.
- How other sustainable building techniques such as straw bale, light straw clay and round pole timber frame can be used in conjunction with cob to create hybrid designs.
- Natural floors, paints and other finishes.
During the week; we ensure:
- Plenty of space for inter-generational muddy mingling.
- Solo, one on one, small group, reflective and ‘whole village’ based learning opportunities.
- Hearty vegetarian meals and evening fireside craic.
- Nature-play based activities for children during short theory sessions.
Will your next step be bold AND muddy?
For dates of any Dinky Dwellings going up; please click here
If you fancy hosting a dinky course at a grid reference of your choosing; please contact us[singlepic id=342 w=320 h=240 float=center]